Helicopter means machines (other than those used in military, customs or police services) lifted by power-driven rotors and which are certified by a competent authority (in Australia this is the Civil Aviation Safety Authority) to transport:
- at least five persons including crew, or
- goods in excess of 450 kg.
See definition of 'helicopter' in the Regulations.
Aircraft that is further described as helicopter must be described by serial number in a registration. The serial number for helicopter comprises:
- the helicopter's manufacturer's number; that is, the serial number attached to the helicopter by the manufacturer
- the manufacturer's name, and
- the manufacturer's generic model description.