Refers to certain financial products, including:
- a share in the body, or a debenture in a body
- a derivative
- a foreign exchange contract that is not a derivative
- an interest in, or a unit in an interest in, a managed investment scheme
- a unity in a share in a body, and
- a financial product traded on the financial market that is operated in accordance with an Australian market licence or exempt from the operation of Part 7.2 of the Corporations Act 2001;
but does not include:
- the creation or transfer of a right to payment in connection with interest in land (where the written evidence of the transfer does not specifically identify the land)
- a document of title
- an intermediated security, and
- a negotiable instrument.
See definition of 'investment instrument' under section 10 of the PPS Act.