End a registration

This page provides an overview of the steps to end, or discharge, a registration when you no longer have (or plan to have), a security interest under the registration. 

On this page

If you have a registered security interest in an asset, you’ll need to end (or discharge) a registration when your interest in that collateral ends.

For example your interest may end if you loaned a person money to buy goods and they’ve now made their final loan repayment.

It's your obligation to end your registration in a timely manner, and there may be time limits on how long you have to end the registration depending on the type of collateral.

Keep in mind:

  • There’s no fee to end a registration.

  • You can only end one registration at a time.

  • Ending a registration is final – if you have discharged a registration by accident, you will need to apply to have it restored.

To end a registration, you’ll need your registration number and either:

  1. the secured party group (SPG) number and access code or

  2. registration token.

Did you know? You can find out when your registrations are due to expire by running a report for free on the PPSR.

What you need to end a registration

Only people with a PPSR account can end a registration. You can set up a PPSR account at no cost. You will need your PPSR account login username and password to log in.

Before you start, you will need:


Note: If you've logged into your PPSR account and don't have access, it may be because you don't have the user permissions required. You may need to ask your account administrator to give you this role.


If you're not the secured party and think a registration isn't correct or should be removed from the PPSR, contact the secured party group listed on the registration. You can also apply to have the registration removed.

How to end a registration

Log into your PPSR account, then:

  1. Go to the Registrations tab and select Discharge a registration.

  2. Under Retrieve the registration, enter the registration number and either:

    • the registration token OR

    • the SPG number and access code.

  3. Select Retrieve.

  4. The registration details will display. Check that they’re correct. As the person ending the registration, you’re responsible for any mistakes (see the PPSR conditions of use.)

  5. Select Discharge. A pop-up message will display asking if you are sure you want to discharge the registration. If you are sure you'd like to end the registration select Discharge. If you'd like to go back and check the details again select Cancel.

Once you've confirmed, a message will appear letting you know you’ve successfully ended the registration. It will give you a transaction reference number.

We’ll also email you a verification statement to your SPG's address for service. You can use this verification statement to notify grantors that you've removed the registration.

I want to end a registration that came from an old register but it isn't in my name yet

If the registration was created on the PPSR in 2012 as a result of it being on a pre-PPSR register (such as REVS or the ASIC Register of Company Charges), this is known as a migrated registration.

If you want to end a migrated registration that isn't in your name yet, you may need to find and claim it first.

When to end a registration

Registrations should be ended as soon as practicable - generally within 5 business days after you no longer have a security interest in the collateral.

There are special legal requirements for both:

  • serial numbered property or
  • property that is used mainly for personal, domestic or household purposes.

These registrations must be discharged before the end of 5 business days after the registration is unperfected (such as when you no longer have a security interest in the collateral).

If you become aware that you that you have made a registration that you should never have made, you should end it as soon as possible, or at least within 5 business days of being aware of this.

Failure to do so risks breaching your legal obligations and can attract a civil penalty.

Was this information helpful?

We welcome your feedback to help us improve our website.
Unfortunately we are unable to respond to individual comments or suggestions.

For enquiries see the options available in our contact us section.