- purchase valuable goods (more than $5000) from a private seller;
- provide credit to a person or organisation;
- invest in, with or through a person or organisation;
You should check whether the goods, person or organisation have any existing security interests against them by searching the PPSR.
The PPSR has a variety of ways to search for information and the search type and details you will need to conduct your search are displayed below..
Search by Serial number:
- Quick motor vehicle – A Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or Chassis number
- Motor vehicle – A VIN, Chassis or Manufacturer’s number.
- Watercraft – A Hull Identification Number (HIN) or Official number.
- Searching for aircraft or aircraft parts – A Manufacturers number or Aircraft nationality code and registration mark
- Intellectual property – A Design number, Patent number, Trade mark or Plant breeder’s right number.
Search by Individual person or Company
- Search by individual grantor – Full Name and Date of Birth of the person.
- Search by organisation grantor – Company identifier i.e. ARSN, ACN, ARBN, ABN or organisation name.
Search by PPSR registration number
- Search by PPSR registration number – A PPSR Registration number. Note: this is not car registration.
Search by the order of two registration events (ordinal search)
- Search by the order of two registration events – Two PPSR registration numbers.
Search by a Point in Time
- Search by a point in time – Full Name and Date of Birth of the person, or Company identifier, or Serial number.
To search the PPSR you will need to pay a fee.
Find out more about the main search types listed in our need help - search section.