Road transport authorities and police contact details

Here you can find contact details for state and territory road transport authorities and police departments. You may need to contact them to enquire about a used car's written-off or stolen information.

On this page

If you've done a used car search on the PPSR and your search results returned with written-off or stolen vehicle indicators, you may need to contact your state or territory road transport authority (RTA) or police for assistance.

Road Transport Authorities (RTAs)

State and territory road transport authorities are the source of National Exchange of Vehicle and Driver Information System (NEVDIS) data. The information you receive from NEVDIS isn't managed by us and we aren't able to provide further details or correct mistakes.

If you would like more information about the written off status you can talk to the seller of the vehicle. The seller can contact their local road transport authority if something is wrong with the written-off details recorded.

State and territories


Australian Capital Territory

Access Canberra

13 22 81

New South Wales

Roads and Maritime Services

13 22 13

Northern Territory

Motor Vehicle Registry

1300 654 628


The Department of Transport and Main Roads

13 23 80

South Australia


13 10 84


Transport Services

1300 135 513



13 11 71

Western Australia

Department of Transport

13 11 56


Stolen data is recorded by state and territory police departments. You can contact the police if there is a stolen vehicle notification you wish to enquire about, the reference number at the end of the notification should be quoted as a part of your enquiry.

Police Assistance Line: 13 14 44

Tasmanian stolen vehicle information is currently unavailable from this service. For information about the status of Tasmanian vehicles, see the Tasmanian Government’s Department of Transport website. (Note: you will need to provide the vehicle plate number to search this site).

Was this information helpful?

We welcome your feedback to help us improve our website.
Unfortunately we are unable to respond to individual comments or suggestions.

For enquiries see the options available in our contact us section.