Go to top of page

Dispute a registration

Is there a PPSR registration you want removed or amended?

The following demonstrates the process to have a PPSR registration removed.

To do this, you need to send the secured party a written demand called an amendment demand.

For a simple list of tips on what you need to write in your demand and how to send it, see Tips for sending an Amendment Demand

For more detailed information about the Amendment Demand process, see PPS Registrar’s Practice Statement No 4.

For more information about the process, see Dispute a registration process guide.

Use the Business Days Calculator

The business days calculator is a functionality introduced to calculate periods of business days under the PPS Act.

Please go to Australia.gov.au to view what are the National Public holidays.


Before you can make your request, you need to send the person who made the registration (the secured party) a written demand (called an amendment demand) asking them to discharge the registration. Discharging will end the registration.

The following demonstrates the process to have a PPSR registration removed.

Ask the person who made the registration to discharge it

Sometimes a dispute about a PPSR registration can be resolved just by asking the person who made the registration (the secured party) to discharge it.

If the person who made the registration won’t discharge it, you can ask the Registrar to consider removing it, but to do so you need to have sent a valid amendment demand.

If you need help writing your demand, the link below provides some tips and example demands.Tips for sending an Amendment Demand

If the secured party is a deregistered company, you should also send a copy to:

Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC)
Email: property.law@asic.gov.au
Post: Property Law Group, GPO Box 9827, Brisbane, Qld 4001

Wait 5 business days and then take further action

You will need to wait 5 business days to give the secured party a chance to discharge the registration. If they don’t, you can take further action by either going to court or asking the PPS Registrar to remove the registration.

To ask the Registrar, you need to submit a form called an amendment statement. To help us process your request as quickly as possible, make sure you include a copy of your amendment demand, any response from the secured party and any evidence to support your request.

For more information about what you should include, see PPS Registrar’s Practice Statement No 4.

The Registrar contacts the secured party

Once the Registrar receives a valid amendment statement, we will send a notice to the secured party called an 'amendment notice'. This asks the secured party to remove the registration or respond explaining why we shouldn't remove their registration.

Removing a registration can have a serious impact on a secured party. We will investigate thoroughly and gather all necessary evidence to inform our decision. As a result, this step can be quite lengthy. If your request is urgent, consider making your application to a court instead.

The Registrar makes a decision

Once the Registrar has all the information needed, we will make a decision whether or not to remove the registration. We will send you an email and a letter advising you of the decision.

If you are not happy with the decision, there are a number of different avenues you can take. You will be advised of some of these in the decision letter.

What if I only want the registration changed?

You can also use the PPSR dispute resolution process to ask a secured party to amend a registration. For more information, see the PPS Registrar’s Practice Statement No 4.

Has someone asked you to remove your registration?

You may have received a letter called an ‘amendment notice’ from the Registrar about your registration. This notice was sent to you because someone wants you to remove your registration. You have three options:

  • Remove your registration.
  • Respond to the Registrar and object to its removal.
  • Apply to court for an order relating to the demand.

If you object to the removal, make sure you provide clear evidence that shows that your registration is supported by a security agreement and there is still a debt owing.

It is really important that you respond to the notice. Failure to respond or provide sufficient evidence may result in your registration being removed from the PPSR.